Monday, June 8, 2015

Entry #3

Naturally I questioned the topic of our blog on the heals of our discussion in our respective classes.on Thursday. The assignment much like our discussion centers around human dependency of technology and the effects it has on personal relationships and human behavior in general. The excerpt we watched from the movie Wall-E is a prime example of what I feel we are headed for. The clip ( you will find a link for this at the bottom of this page) for those of you who haven't viewed it, shows humankind in what I believe to be our natural progression. The entire population is in a type of hover chair vehicle, much like a recliner that flies. Essentially we'll never leave our chair. The chair is mobile, sleek, and has a hologram projector on it. The projector in the futuristic clip is a more advanced version of the cell phone of today. We essentially are already seeing the actions we see in this clip, just not as a driver. what we see already is the passengers in this type of engagement, We have yet to develop the ability to be actively watching a screen as were being drove by a machine. I do believe we are not far from this though. If you noticed that in the clip everyone in the population is overweight and no one is capable of doing for themselves. This I believe would be a great tragedy, but is not far fetched.  I have myself been guilty of getting in a vehicle as a passenger and engaging my phone to the point of never looking up once until I reached my destination. This is something I have not done often but have done. It is also something I feel I see way too much in restaurants and vehicles or even at home at the dinner table.  With the progression of technology I see the death of humanity . I feel that the way people interact has been skewed by the way we interact on our phones or on Facebook with each other. As I feel these are great technological advances, I also feel as a society we are obligated to grow with this technology. As it is I now feel our technology has outgrown our ability to use it responsibly. I am hoping that at some point in our near future we adapt, and become the masters of our advancement, opposed to being babysat by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1BQPV-iCkU 

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully we will not be babysat by the mechanical robot. But we should definitely draw a fine line of where the technology can help and not help. :)

    ReplyDelete