An Exploratory Journey into the Expression of Ones Self Through Art
My name is Larry,and I am from Maryvale, (west phoenix). I am an artist and also a poet. I use my art as an expression of my feelings and opinions. But most of all its an outlet, honestly art is life too me. I hope to become a successful artist instead of the commonly known starving artist. This is why I have decided to enroll in school for fine arts. I am hoping to learn as many types of expressiveness as possible. I am self taught at painting, I have done murals with brushes and also spray cans although that was many years ago. I enjoy painting because I get to see my vision come to life. I enjoy writing poetry as an outlet for many ranges of emotion.
I feel art is life because it makes you feel like there's something beautiful in the world. Music is art and I would not be able to live without it. My poetry is art and when I write it makes me feel alive. I feel that painting my thoughts and visions is me living through the eyes of others. So I feel that in every aspect of life we are exposed to art, therefor I feel it encompasses life!
I would love to do art as my career, I want to do what I love. Being from a less than prosperous family in a rough neighborhood, I've had to survive by working jobs that I have dreaded. I also would like too eventually be able to use my degree to help young aspiring artists from diverse areas hone there own artistic skills and be able to become successful at a younger age and not have to experience the struggles I have known. I believe that the poorer neighborhood kids who do not have those traditional art skills are being over looked and are falling through the cracks. I myself experienced this. Aspiring rappers, graffiti artists, and other talented youths are not learning how to channel their talents into a productive and marketable skill.
This I'm afraid is a great disservice to us all as I feel that art is something that touches us. We are missing out on so many enlightenment's and enjoyments. I will during our course post some of my own work and would love to hear feedback and opinions or interpretations. for those or you who decide to join me, I hope you enjoy the journey into the expression of myself.
This painting is titled 'Addiction' and is something I did as a way to cope with the loss of my uncle who was an alcoholic.He died as a result of his addiction.It is also relative to other family and friends I have lost over the years.The painting has the words "one more " in the background. This represents the constant chase of the high they seek, because they always want to get high just one more time.The birds are crows that are representative of death because they are carrion birds. The cracks represent the cracks in our society that addicts fall threw constantly. Most never see a rehab and are locked up as criminals for there sickness.I chose coffee for the centerpiece because it is the most acceptable and most consumed drug ( being a stimulant ) , in the world.The letter o is smoking , another accepted drug.The birds are forming from the steam as a symbol of death rising from addiction. The sweetener and stir straw on the table are meant to be left up to perception depending on your own personal life experiences . For me being exposed to addiction in one form or another my whole life it represents a darker meaning, it is actually narcotics waiting to be consumed,and bring more death and destruction. And it is all centered on a glass coffee table, I am not sure if from the photo that is clear.
This painting is titled 'Addiction' and is something I did as a way to cope with the loss of my uncle who was an alcoholic.He died as a result of his addiction.It is also relative to other family and friends I have lost over the years.The painting has the words "one more " in the background. This represents the constant chase of the high they seek, because they always want to get high just one more time.The birds are crows that are representative of death because they are carrion birds. The cracks represent the cracks in our society that addicts fall threw constantly. Most never see a rehab and are locked up as criminals for there sickness.I chose coffee for the centerpiece because it is the most acceptable and most consumed drug ( being a stimulant ) , in the world.The letter o is smoking , another accepted drug.The birds are forming from the steam as a symbol of death rising from addiction. The sweetener and stir straw on the table are meant to be left up to perception depending on your own personal life experiences . For me being exposed to addiction in one form or another my whole life it represents a darker meaning, it is actually narcotics waiting to be consumed,and bring more death and destruction. And it is all centered on a glass coffee table, I am not sure if from the photo that is clear.

Very cool painting, Larry.
ReplyDelete